06/17/2026
Excerpts from the June 23, 1982 Freeman Courier:
If the founding members of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church could’ve sat in the pews during the 1030 morning worship service June 20, they would have probably been a bit uncomfortable in the strange surroundings as the prelude was played. The walls would’ve been a stark contrast to the walls of the church they knew, the vaulted ceiling giving a feeling of grandeur and the large cross at the front of the church an indication of a more modern artistic influence.
But with the opening hymn, they might have well forgotten the newness and enjoyed singing “Hallelujah! Lob, Preis and Ehr” with the rest of the congregation. And as a service unfolded, they would’ve thought, “really, things haven’t changed that much; they’re still worshiping in German.”
The German worship service was a reminder of the heritage of St. Paul’s Lutheran, as the congregation celebrated its centennial, June 19 and 20.
Beginning with a banquet at the FHS gym Saturday night, the centennial included three worship services – a 9 a.m. service of celebration, a 10:30 a.m. German service and a 2 p.m. festival service. At noon potluck was held at the gym. Displays … at the Lutheran Day School both days proved to be very popular. It included books used in the first years of the church … scale models built by Gerhard Schamber of the church facilities in the 100-year history, pictures of the early years and other memorabilia.
Fifty years earlier, a similar celebration was held. The Sept. 1, 1932 Courier noted “all roads will lead to Freeman Sunday, Sept. 4 when the 50th anniversary of the founding of the St. Paul’s congregation will be celebrated.
“Organized in 1882 with nine members … during the first four years, services were conducted in the homes of the members and later in the public school building. Four years later, the congregation decided to erect a church building. After 17 years, it was necessary to erect a larger church; …it was dedicated in 1899.”
Addendum: The congregation moved from its original location at southwest Fourth and Poplar to its present location along Seventh Street between Wipf and Poplar in 1963.