06/04/2026
The Sacred Heart Mission, Bruni, Texas, Webb County. The town was named after Antonio Bruni, an Italian immigrant who arrived in the area around 1877 and owned a general store and a ranch. Bruni became a station stop-over on the Texas-Mexican Railway about 1881, and by 1939 the population had increased with the discovery of the South Bruni oilfield. The first chapel was built in 1916 on land donated by the Bruni family. When the Franciscans arrived in Hebbronville in 1926, they took responsibility for the mission and started to build a new chapel made of wood and dedicated it to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. That same year, Bishop Ledvina blessed the chapel and celebrated the Sacrament of Confirmation. In 1973, the sacristy was added and in 1982, a brick exterior was added. It continues to be part of the Parish in Hebbronville and it is still under the care of the Franciscans.