06/25/2026
In 1871, the Lockport Ladies Relief Society saw a need to provide for widows and orphans who didn’t have a permanent home after the deaths of so many soldiers who fought in the Civil War. The group purchased the Nelson House, located at 387 High Street, and named it the “Home for the Friendless”. In its first year, the home admitted 29 children and 3 elderly ladies. Over the years, the number of people staying only continued to grow. The Ladies Relief Society worked tirelessly to raise money and make bedding for all of the women and children in need. The people of Lockport helped significantly in this effort and were very generous with donations of their money and material goods. Unfortunately, the house didn’t have a large capacity, and the home quickly became overcrowded and started struggling financially.
This went on until 1892, when Governor Washington Hunt’s former summer home was deeded to the Lockport Home of the Friendless. Located at 6935 Old Niagara Road, this new location provided room for all of the women and children in need. The building was even able to be expanded upon, and in 1900, the Hodge Wing was built and became a children’s infirmary. In 1917, the name was changed from “Lockport Home for the Friendless” to “Wyndham Lawn Home for Children”. The name has since changed to “New Directions”, but it remains at the same site as Wyndham Lawn was. Shown first is a photo of Wyndham Lawn, and the second is the original site of the Home for the Friendless.