06/15/2026
GROSSE ILE THROUGH THE DECADES
Here’s the 21st feature in our continuing look back at 250 years of Grosse Ile.
Decade 21 - Honoring the Past, Shaping the Future, 1966–1975
The late 1960s and early 1970s brought major changes to Grosse Ile. New schools, churches, and community spaces reflected a growing population and a modernizing Island. At the same time, residents worked hard to preserve the Island’s history and character.
In 1966, Ernest Stanton of Westcroft Gardens won the American Rhododendron Society’s “Best of Show” award for his flower “Connie,” named after his wife. That same year, the Island’s Lutheran Church was formally dedicated, several years after its first services were held in 1962.
The community continued to grow. The Grosse Ile Historical Museum located in the railroad depot was dedicated in 1967. Author Isabella Swan published Deep Roots, a beloved book describing early Island life and families. In 1967, St. James Episcopal Chapel also celebrated its 100th anniversary.
New buildings reshaped the Island during this decade. Meridian Elementary School opened in 1969, and Sacred Heart Church dedicated its striking new ten-sided building that same year. Designed by architect George Diehl, the modern church featured a central altar and stained-glass windows symbolizing the waters surrounding Grosse Ile.
The decade also brought national and local turning points. In 1969, the Naval Air Station closed after decades as a major part of Island life. That same year, Americans watched astronauts walk on the moon for the first time. Longtime Island figure “Din” Rooney also passed away in 1969.
In 1971, a judge ruled that Celeron Island was part of Grosse Ile Township. Sacred Heart Parochial School closed after serving Island families for 23 years.
Grosse Ile also gained control of its airport. The Township received title to the former naval air station in 1971, and the airport officially reopened under Township ownership in 1972.
Not every event was positive. In 1973, the historic Survey Tree was toppled by strong winds. The Island also experienced severe flooding as Great Lakes water levels reached historic highs. Beloved Island Day School teacher Miss Nan Cole who operated her day care program out of the railroad depot from 1924-1929 died that same year.
Road crews tackled crumbling streets in 1972, repaving East River, Horsemill, and Macomb Roads. Residents jokingly called the project the end of “Chuckhole USA.”
Historic preservation became an important focus during the 1970s. In 1974, the East River Road area was named a National Historic District. The district included important homes and landmarks such as St. James Episcopal Chapel and the Michigan Central Railroad Depot.
The Grosse Ile Historical Society continued growing as well. Beginning in 1974, the Society invited DuMouchelles to provide appraisals of Island member heirlooms with donations of $2 going to the renovation of the Museum. In 1975, the Society launched its Holiday Boutique, which became a longtime Island tradition.
National events continued shaping local life. The Equal Rights Amendment passed Congress in 1972, and the Vietnam War came to an end in 1975. Also in 1975, the former Navy base officially began its transition into an industrial park, marking the close of one chapter in Island history and the beginning of another.
NOTE ON SCOPE: These are snapshots, not the whole album.
As we near the 250th anniversary, these snapshots offer a sense of Grosse Ile’s evolving story. They’re not the whole album — just chosen images that reveal something essential. We hope they inspire you to look closer.